Sunday 13 March 2011

Conventions in Magazines

        A convention - a range of rules and standards expected/required for a specific genre. 
             Conventions can be applied to many different circumstances, they can also be developed and challenged. 
  1. Convention - wearing clothes
  2. Develop - wearing only black clothes
  3. Challenge - wearing no clothes

    OR
    1. Convention - having a computer
    2. Develop - using a computer
    3. Challenge - reading a book instead


      My Front Cover

      I have used conventions of a
      • bold and italic masthead like 'TANK' has done

      • Corner grabber used like in 'Time Out'

      • Coverlines used like 'NME'; one main coverline that is larger than the rest and the others are all a similar size as one another.


      • Footer header that includes a list of bands and symmetrical to the bar code, both also at the bottom of the front cover, like 'Rock Sound'.

      • No text touching the edges, all in align with one another and coverlines/text written on the left and right side like 'Elle'.


      • Header Bar and main image (mid shot) like 'Kerrang!'





        I have challenged the conventions of the usual presentation of
        • the selling line by having it as a 'quote feel' and would have it the same for every magazine issue so that it is recognisable.
        • not having as many coverlines and mixing up their positions a bit more, rather than continuously on the left and right hand side.



          • I have also changed the usual eye route that 'Rock Sound' uses to not look at the top, my magazine focuses more on the centre of the page.

          • I have not positioned my main image to overlap my masthead like 'Kerrang!' does most of the time.



            I have commented on the conventions used in my stages for my magazine front cover and it's contents page.





      No comments:

      Post a Comment