Wednesday 4 May 2011

Fonts and Logo Design

I have made several plans and alterations throughout the development and designing of my magazine, especially with the font usage and logo design. In the end I decided my masthead would also be my logo, rather than a logo and masthead separately on every page. My aim was to use an attractive font that would suit my target audience, it's practical, simple and desirable. 

As I wanted a consistency of the same, or at least similar fonts throughout my magazine, I had a long think about what I wanted and chose 'Stone Sans ITC TT' in italic whereas the majority of my Music magazine is in some sort of Stone Sans ITC TT font, just not necessarily italic. For example, Stone Sans ITC TT bold is used for my written feature in my double page feature spread, and everything else in my contents and front cover (apart from the band's name as that is their own logo). I found this an appropriate font throughout as it is very clear to read, still looked appealing to my audience and isn't too pretentious. It also all fit very nicely on each page and I had no troubles with size, blurriness and whatever else can occur. Also, I stayed within my colour scheme of red/black/white/magenta and chose to have it filled in red with a white outline. My original plan was for it to be filled in magenta with a white outline but after seeing the finishing touches to my front cover, it started to blend in too much so I altered it. Now it stands out a lot more, still the same font criteria and still within the colour scheme. Despite doing this, it doesn't overrule the rest of the elements in my front cover, contents page and double page spread feature. The worst possible scenario was that it would have blended in too much with everything or it stuck out like a sore thumb, fortunately it didn't do either with my alterations.

No comments:

Post a Comment